top of page
ON HISTORY (from History page)
Nestled in a park-like setting just blocks away from the downtown shops and restaurants, the Usonian (yoo-so-neee-an) Inn, is Spring Green's first Taliesin inspired motel, built in an era when the wide highway could take you anywhere!
After ownership changed hands and a renovation occurred in 1992, under the supervision of another of Wright’s students, James Pfefferkorn, the name was changed to The Usonian Inn, underscoring the building’s heritage as one of the Usonian Style.
We are committed to achieving environmental, social and economic sustainability at all times by embracing the Green concept at a great speed. Alternative savings are abundant; so, we adhere to start our contribution of saving the earth -early, one day at the time.
The DESIGNER MAKEOVER that took place during our ownership, helped us to implement the most and the greatest sustainable concepts that are suitable for our establishment.
The Rest Haven Motel catered to the greatly increased automobile traffic and automobile-related tourism that was transforming the American lifestyle following the end of World War II. The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. John Michels – good friends of Frank Lloyd Wright and their architect was Jesse C. Caraway.
Caraway was one of the earliest members of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin Fellowship, which was located some three miles south of Spring Green across the Wisconsin River at Taliesin, Wright's Wisconsin home.
Caraway's motel design adapted a number of features that are closely associated with Wright's Usonian residential designs; these were developed during the years that Caraway was at Taliesin.
Frank Lloyd Wright's apprentice - architect J.C. Caraway designed the Inn in 1948, the construction project was completed in 1952 known as “The Rest Haven Motel.”
That was a historical moment; it was the only lodging establishment on the 120 mile road stretch.
THIS IS US (from home page)
• Conveniently located in the heart of natural beauty of the Wisconsin River Valley, within walking distance to downtown, (0.5 miles) our hotel is an ideal destination for travelers of all ages alike (mostly adults); once you are here, you can do what your heart desires, enjoy nature while you feel like being surrounded by friends - what else can you ask for!
• Select a bottle of our specialty wine (available for purchase in the lobby) from our cellar collection and have a great, relaxing time!
• The Usonian Inn LLC, originally named the Rest Haven Motel, was the first Highway lodging between Madison and LaCrosse WI on US Hwy 14, a stretch of 120 miles road.
• Our Hotel was conceived in 1948, and open for business in 1952, refurbished in 1992, and gone under more designer makeover sessions to make it into the 21st century enhancing the organic features and updated amenities .
• The Usonian style, as conceived by Frank Lloyd Wright, is "architecture for everyone," combining readily available materials and straight-forward construction in harmony with the natural settings; nowadays known as passive solar or sustainable concept.
• We are the ONE AND ONLY Usonian Motel in the world. From visiting the famous attraction in the area - like Taliesin museum, hiking in our state parks and trails, biking, swimming by the river, kayaking, enjoying a play at the outdoor Shakespeare Theater, to shopping for arts and crafts, gat our distinctive shops in the area, or just reading and relaxing on the patio, walking the grounds, there are endless possibilities for you to spend your time here in the valley!
• We offer our guests exceptional, personalized services.
• You can start your day with our gourmet coffee specialties served in the lobby - Cappuccino, Espresso, Latte, freshly brewed individually or a choice of teas from our inventory. Any products in our gift shop is at cost and final sale.
• We hope that a stay with us will evoke both comfort and style and leave you wanting to return soon, and is our hope that you can build wonderful memories with us. We've been proud owners of this historic property for 14 years.
• We are welcoming you to our historic place with the idea that you will have a great time.
ABOUT US (From about us page)
A CHARMING USONIAN ARCHITECTURAL STYLE DESIGN MOTEL
Tucked in a park-like setting, you will find our property to be a great setting for you to relax. It’s easy to find us; with walking options to downtown and some other attractions you will find that to be a good stretch after a long drive; just on the edge of town there is the village park with a pool that will get you refreshed and ready for other adventures. Feel free to walk our yard and enjoy the birds singing, grab your book and sit on the patio for an afternoon reading session and sip on your tea or coffee.
I’m a glad to have you by our place and hope for you to make some memories and plan for a return visit.
Our property offers 11 rooms all on the ground level:
•1 king size bed with corner wrap window recliner chair and coffee table, extra seating
•1 king size bed with a soaking tub and fireplace, nook table and built in office
•1 king size with a leather recliner seat, computer desk
•1 double - a queen size bed, a rocker leather recliner chair, dining table and chairs
•7 rooms with 2 beds - a queen and a double beds that sleep maximum of 2 people, (we'll add 3rd person for a fee); private entry and private bath; Amenities include:
• Free WI-FI, TV sets and A/C units - also used for heat, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker; dining table and chairs, reading or recliners chair
• all rooms have patio furniture by the entrance
• courtesy phone in the lobby
bottom of page